Cittaslow Awards and Achievements
Cittaslow Annual Awards
The Southern Alexandrina Business Association (SABA) was instrumental in the establishment of Cittaslow Goolwa. Each year between 2012 and 2017 Cittaslow Goolwa, in conjunction with SABA, recognised the contributions of individuals, businesses and organisations whose actions contributed to Goolwa's Cittaslow Status.
Since accreditation in March 2007, the community of Goolwa has instigated programs and activities that will consolidate its position as Australia’s first Cittaslow and improve quality of life for all in Goolwa.
Cittaslow Goolwa Achievements and Activities
- Winner first international Chiocciola Orange Award (2014 Orange Snail Award)
- Creation of Cittaslow Goolwa Incorporated
- Establishment of local Food and Wine group
- Introduction ofFood and Wine Code of Ethics program
- Development of weekly fruit and vegetable barrow
- Development of the Cittaslow Community Garden
- Involvement in the Goolwa 2030 Program which will lead to the Goolwa Town Plan
- Worked with the Paddle Steamer Oscar W committee to develop activities to celebrate its centenary and commissioning in 2008
- Involved with the SA Wooden Boat and Music Festival 2009 and 2011, especially food and wine gourmet breakfast
- Development of Cittaslow Park
- Submitted Environmental reports to South Coast Draft Master Plan and Management Options for the Sir Richard Peninsula
- Prepared joint grant applications to assist the PS Oscar W Centenary Celebrations and the Goolwa Traders “Goolwa Alive” street market
- Hosted visits by the students from the University of Gastronomic Sciences and introduced them to Cittaslow, local produce and local culture
- Supported the introduction of the Fleurieu (McLaren Vale) Slow Food convivium
- Hosted international journalists attending Tasting Australia activities
- Established Goolwa Tourism and created Around Goolwa with History Week
- Hosted the Great Australian Smoke Off at Ballast Stone Winery, Currency Creek and from 2011 at Signal Point, Goolwa Wharf.This event went through a number of iterations since 2013 and is now conducted by Cittaslow Goolwa in conjunction with the Langhorne Creek Wine and Grape organisation. Since 2017 the event has been known as the Goolwa Smoke Off Festival.
- Establishment of the Cittaslow Centre at Signal Point, Goolwa Wharf. In 2017 Cittaslow Goolwa established Cittaslow Corner in a heritage listed building (dating back to 1915) in Cadell Street and the Cittaslow Centre in Signal Point was closed.
- Introduced the Goolwa Gopher Gymnkhana in 2010 and worked with the Goolwa Lions Club to host the 2011 event
- Release of publications including annual Cittaslow Diary, Cittaslow Calendar and the Cittaslow Garden Cook Book
- Establishment of annual Cittaslow Goolwa Awards
Cittaslow Goolwa has been recognised with the following awards
- 2007 and 2008 SA Great Best Community Group nominations
- 2008 Australia Day Community Event of the Year for Alexandrina for the Accreditation of Goolwa
- 2007 Tour Down Under Best Dressed Town Award for the bicycle sculpture created by Cittaslow and Goolwa Skill
- 2010 Silver Award for Goolwa as Best Dressed Town for Santos Tour Down Under
- 2011 Australian Day Community Event of the Year for Goolwa 180 Captain Charles Sturt celebrations
- Cittaslow President Lyn Clark awarded 2012 Australia Day Citizen of the Year Alexandrina Council