Cittaslow Community Garden
GARDEN PURPOSE STATEMENT
- To establish a community garden for the supply of fresh, chemical-free produce
- To enable the sharing and passing on of skills across all age groups, on chemical-free gardening practices
- To become self-sustaining through the sale of produce to the Cittaslow Barrow
- To support the Cittaslow philosophy and promote community health, wellbeing and nutrition
- To create a peaceful meeting space for community activities that is one of equality and that strengthens diverse community relations
- To enhance social interaction and to create new links within the Goolwa community
- To use local recycled materials and artistic involvement to create an aesthetically appealing environment that is relevant to the Goolwa community
The Cittaslow Community Garden is in Kessell Road, Goolwa and has developed well since its inception in 2008. Thanks to the generosity of the Alexandrina Council, Goolwa Lions Club and the South Coast Dune Care, garden beds are now operating and a children's garden has been established. The Garden volunteers meet together each Wednesday morning to plan their week's activities, to share experiences and enjoy each other's company.
GARDEN EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
From time to time, the Cittaslow Goolwa Community Garden hosts visits from different organisations and holds functions. As facilities improve, the hospitality of the Community Garden volunteers can be offered to a wider range of groups. Contact Noel for more details. (08-8555 5086 or email n_leahy at bigpond.com) If you are interested in hiring a garden bed, contact Noel for details/availability, etc. The garden is changing and developing all the time, so you're welcome to drop in on a Wednesday morning and see what's happening.
The garden is providing produce for the Goolwa Children's Centre with support from the Goolwa and District Community Bank (Bendigo). The proceeds from the Barrow are used to support the development of the Garden.
Check out the latest on the Cittaslow Goolwa Community Garden Facebook Page